Since 2010, I’ve been collating the children’s and young adult Best Book Lists from Booklist, the Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books, Horn Book, Kirkus, School Library Journal, and Publishers Weekly. Every year has a spreadsheet labeled “Everything” which contains the raw data from each list. The “Checklist” spreadsheet is a list of every unique title that made at least one list. Other spreadsheets vary from year to year.
The color coding system on the “Everything” sheet is the same as for the Starred Reviews spreadsheet.
- 6 lists=Orange
- 5 lists=Purple
- 4 lists=Green
- 3 lists=Blue
- 2 lists=Peach
- 1 list=no fill
The highlight colors vary on the “Checklist” sheet, but whatever color they are, they indicate that I’ve read a title – data that’s probably not interesting to anyone else but me. Notes on each list follow.
- Best Books 2016 – Now with new columns for Publisher and Imprint.
- Best Books 2015 – This is the first year I added a column for Number of Lists. There is also a third spreadsheet containing the titles SLJ also named as Top 10 Graphic Novels and Latin@ Books outside of their regular Best Books List.
- Best Books 2014
- Best Books 2013
- Best Books 2012 – This one contains an extra sheet that is a printable list I used to make displays at my library.
- Best Books 2011 – This was the most detailed year. Not only a printable list, but also sheets for Booklist’s Best Audio, Booklist’s Best Video and Kirkus’ Top 25 Apps.
- Best Books 2010 – Includes a printable list and Booklist’s Best Audio.