See the Early Printz Possibilities post for information on criteria and how I’m dividing the lists. Titles new to the list since the last Printz post are marked in bold. There’s a lot of them because it’s been so long since I had time to put this list together!
I do want to remind everyone that the criteria for starred reviews varies significantly from the criteria for the Printz – there are plenty of books out there that the real committee members will be looking at that aren’t on this list and some that are on both of these lists that they’ve probably already judged unworthy of serious consideration.
Continue reading Printz Possibilities Updated for October Stars
Not as many new titles, but some movement going on in this month’s stars: Long Way Down moves on to the six starred reviews list, Her Right Foot moving on to the five starred reviews list and we even have our first book of 2018 with three starred reviews: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black!
October 2017 stars tally:
- 1056 books published in 2017 have been awarded 1800 starred reviews as of the end of October.
- 4 books have 6 starred reviews, 20 books have 5 starred reviews, 60 books have 4 starred reviews, 116 books have 3 starred reviews, 232 books have 2 starred reviews, 624 books have 1 starred review.
- 35 books published in 2018 have been awarded 42 starred reviews as of the end of October. 1 book has 3 starred reviews, 5 books have 2 starred reviews, 29 books have 1 starred review.
Continue reading October 2017 Starred Reviews
Fall is such a busy and exciting time in the book world! Book Award season is in full swing – The Marrow Thieves just won the Kirkus Prize; the National Book Award announced its shortlist (What Girls Are Made Of; Far From the Tree; I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter; Clayton Byrd Goes Underground; and American Street), and PW announced their Best of 2017 list.
As the year rushes towards its close, the September journals covered a pretty large chunk of the Fall publishing season – and there’s a very small smattering of 2018 titles with stars already! I won’t list 2018 titles here until something has at least 3 starred reviews, but you can check out the new page in the spreadsheet anytime. Also keep your eyes peeled for a link to the spreadsheet where I will track the 2017 best lists from the six journals I follow; it should appear on the site sometime this week.
We also have our first (Will it be the only?) picture book to receive six starred reviews appearing this month: When’s My Birthday? by Julie Fogliano, illustrated by Christian Robinson.
September 2017 stars tally:
- 1000 books published in 2017 have been awarded 1707 starred reviews as of the end of September.
- 3 books have 6 starred reviews, 20 books have 5 starred reviews, 56 books have 4 starred reviews, 109 books have 3 starred reviews, 226 books have 2 starred reviews, 586 books have 1 starred review.
Continue reading September 2017 Starred Reviews